Salford has set a semifinal with St Helens after the big win at Huddersfield

Salford has set a semifinal with St Helens after the big win at Huddersfield

Salford has set a semifinal with St Helens after the big win at Huddersfield

Salford will face defending Betfred Super League champions St Helens for a place in the Grand Final after beating Huddersfield 28-0 in the second sudden death play-off at John Smith’s Stadium.

The eliminatory draw was given the go-ahead just 24 hours earlier after the queen’s death, and after both teams and 5,000 spectators paid tribute, the Red Devils made their mark by taking a 16-0 lead in the first quarter.

There was no going back for the Giants under former Salford boss Ian Watson as Salford has maintained the amazing run of his successor Paul Rowley, who is 80 minutes from leading them to Old Trafford in his first season as boss. Super League coach.

Salford’s reward for an extremely impressive win is a shot at the Saints at Totally Wicked Stadium next Saturday afternoon, while Wigan will host Leeds in their first semi-final on Friday night.

The only disappointment was the loss of the influential Brodie Croft stalemate due to a header just before half-time that certainly seems to dominate the former Melbourne and Brisbane playmaker who is shortlisted for Man of Steel. , out of the semifinal.

Salford, who finished second in the Grand Final in 2019 under Watson, finished the regular season on a high, winning seven of his last nine games, and confidence was there to see from kickoff.

Their quick start, highlighted by two three-minute tries by Joe Burgess and Kallum Watkins, unnerved their opponents, who were forced to abandon their traditional methodical approach to building a performance only to find there was no plan. B.

The Giants have been strengthened by former Salford midfielder Theo Fages’ return from injury but never got a chance to make their mark as they struggled to contain Salford’s free-flowing attack.

Scrum-half Marc Sneyd, whose tactical kick was instrumental, gave them the lead with an eighth-minute penalty awarded for a high tack on captain Elijah Taylor before stunned the hosts with two quick tries.

Ryan Brierley

Ryan Brierley (right) scored Salford’s third try (Martin Rickett / PA)

Excellent maneuverability from a scrum 30 meters away saw winger Burgess take the pass of winger Ryan Brierley to cross to the corner as second rower Watkins finished off a Croft counterattack.

Sneyd converted both tries and kicked a second penalty in the allotted time for a dangerous tackle on prop Tyler Dupree to extend his team’s lead to 16-0.

Huddersfield had a chance to return to the game when Brierley was penalized in the 24th minute for a late tackle on opponent Tui Lolohea, but lacked the skill to take down a well-organized defense.

Andy Ackers

Andy Ackers’ final try ended in a comfortable win (Martin Rickett / PA)

Hopes for the Giants faded further just before half-time when busy hooker Danny Levi came out with a knee injury, which meant Oliver Russell moved into the role of half mannequin.

A successful run from substitute Sebastine Ikahihifo early in the second half briefly raised Huddersfield’s spirits, but they were turned off in the 48th minute when Brierley won the game with a precise Sneyd eradication kick to score the Reds’ third try. Devils.

That was the only lifeless second half score until impressive hooker Andy Ackers made his way for a 50m solo try with 90 seconds left and Sneyd scored his sixth goal on as many attempts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.