Prince Harry and Meghan may not see the Queen visiting the UK due to security concerns

Prince Harry and Meghan may not see the Queen visiting the UK due to security concerns

Prince Harry and Meghan may not see the Queen visiting the UK due to security concerns

Prince Harry and Meghan - Michael M. Santiago / Getty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan – Michael M. Santiago / Getty Images

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will miss seeing the Queen during their upcoming visit to the UK, unless a security dispute can be resolved.

Prince Harry and Meghan, who will be visiting the UK and Germany during the week starting September 5, are not expected to travel to see the Queen at Balmoral.

The Telegraph understands that the couple have not yet been informed of their safety decisions while in Britain as a Home Office panel decides whether they should qualify for Met protection.

Harry and Meghan confirmed they will be attending two events in the UK: a youth summit in Manchester and the WellChild Awards for critically ill children and their families, for which Prince Harry has been the long-term patron.

In the meantime, they will also fly to Dusseldorf for the Invictus Games launch event of 2023.

The couple’s schedule lets loose on Wednesdays and Thursdays of that week, with the couple previously expecting to use the opportunity to visit Harry’s grandmother.

Visit to Queen not planned

While it is possible that other commitments may be confirmed, a visit to the Queen is not planned according to sources.

Her Majesty had planned to return to Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle to appoint a new prime minister on 6 September, following the election of the Conservative leadership, making a short trip from the Sussex home at Frogmore Cottage.

But on Sunday it was reported that the Queen was now “carefully considering” whether she feels fit to participate in the Braemer Games, nine miles from her Scottish home, where she is regularly photographed enjoying Highland sports.

She is likely now to remain in Balmoral to receive her outgoing and incoming prime ministers in greater comfort, with sources indicating that the Sussexes would not be able to see her unless security concerns can be resolved.

Although they fall under the protection already in place at the royal estates of Windsor and Balmoral, the Met police for their outside activities, including travel, are determined on a case-by-case basis.

During their most recent Platinum Jubilee visit they only attended official engagements where they had security in place along with other members of the royal family, but did not venture outside of Frogmore Cottage and the surrounding area for other excursions.

They visited the Queen at Windsor Castle in private.

The queen recently suffered from health problems, particularly related to her mobility, and rested during her annual summer break in Balmoral.

The Prince of Wales is said to visit her every day, with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their three young children spending time with her in Scotland along with the frequent company of the wider royal family.

Harry and Meghan’s decisions about travel within the UK depend on the level of security, if any, guaranteed, The Telegraph understands.

Private Protection Team

Although they are able to use a private security team, Prince Harry said those agents would not have access to enough information in the UK to keep his family safe.

He previously stated that he, his wife and their two children should be guaranteed permanent security when in the UK, regardless of their new status as royal non-workers.

The decision was made by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures in February 2020, when it was determined that Sussex’s choice to live in the United States as private citizens did not “easily fit” any category of the his picture.

Recognizing Prince Harry’s “peculiar and unusual position” as heir to the throne and his service in Afghanistan, the jury agreed that he may need protection under certain circumstances.

It had to be considered on a case-by-case basis, taking into account whether he performed quasi-official duties or whether he carried out strictly private outings.

He has offered to pay for the services of the Met, but Robert Palmer QC, representing the Home Office, said at the hearing that “personal protective security by the police is not available on a privately funded basis.”

Harry appealed the decision through lawyers and initiated judicial review proceedings against the Ministry of the Interior.

In July, he won the right to challenge the trial in court.

The couple are not known to have previously visited Balmoral despite being invited, although they stayed with the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall at Castle Mey in 2018.

They previously attended the WellChild Awards together, and last year Prince Harry went alone for a socially distanced ceremony.

Meghan first joined Young One World as a consultant in 2014, talking about gender equality, and is expected to appear on stage this year.

A source said the Sussexes had chosen to confirm their commitments with existing organizations, hoping to give each a post-pandemic publicity boost.

A spokesperson for the couple did not comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.